Account & Passwords
- How do I open an account?
- How do I sign into my account?
- I’ve forgotten my account number, what do I do?
- I’ve forgotten my account password, what do I do?
- Why do I need two passwords?
- Are there requirements for my passwords?
- How do I unlock my account?
- How can I modify my mailing address?
- What is a personal identification security question and why do I need it?
- How can I exercise my stock options
- How can I withdraw my shares?
- How long does it take before I receive my proceeds?
- What is the W-9 form for?
- What is the difference between a market order and a limit order?
Account & Passwords
1. How do I open an account?
Visit www.solium.com/activate and choose one of the following 3 methods:
1. My Company Email Address
- Enter your company email address and complete the captcha section.
- Once your email is entered we will send you a link to activate your account. This email will contain specifics about some of the information you will need to have handy in order to complete your activation.
- The link will take you to a verification page where you will be asked to enter some identifying information.
- Once we have verified your identity there will be a section to create your login and transaction passwords as well as a username. If you choose not to create a username, you will be provided with an account number. The information provided can be used immediately.
2. An Account Activation Code
- Enter the activation code provided to you by your company, or our Participant Service Group over the phone, and complete the captcha section.
- In the next step you will be taken to a verification page where you will be asked to enter some identifying information.
- Once we have verified your identity there will be a section to create your login and transaction passwords as well as a username. . If you choose not to create a username, you will be provided with an account number. The information provided can be used immediately.
- If you misplaced or lost your activation code, please try the company email activation method described above, or call our Participant Services Group for assistance.
3. A Company ID and Password
- Enter the Company ID and password provided to you in the letter you received from Solium, or by our Participant Services Group over the phone. The Company ID and password to open a Shareworks account is the same for all plan participants of a company. If you misplaced the letter we sent you, please contact our call centre to obtain this information.
- Complete the short activation form requesting basic contact information and optional banking information.
- Review and complete the Participant Account Agreement.
- You’ll see a confirmation screen once your activation is complete. Take note of the confirmation number for your reference. Once your activation form has been reconciled with the information provided by your company, Solium will send you your account number and temporary passwords (one to log in and one to transact) in separate letters by regular post. If you don’t want to wait for these letters to access your account, please contact our Participant Services Group.
2. How do I sign into my account?
To access your Solium Shareworks account please follow these steps:
- Visit www.solium.com/login
- Enter your account number and login password (case sensitive).
Notes to first-time users:
- If you activated using a Company ID and password, Solium will send your account number, temporary login password, temporary transaction password by regular post once you’ve completed the account activation process. You will be asked to reset both passwords the first time you log into Shareworks. If you don’t want to wait for these letters to access your account, please contact our Participant Services Group.
- For most users, when you first log into Shareworks you will need to review your account information and agreements. You will be presented with exchange agreement(s) which allows you to receive real time quotes. You will also need to provide your professional subscriber status, your W-8BEN or W9 status (where applicable), as well as how you wish to receive your tax information (online versus paper copy, where applicable).
In the case of stock option or other award-based plans:
- You will be presented with your current portfolio to review for approval. If you agree, select “I agree” under the chart. If you do not agree with the summary displayed, click “I do not agree” and enter any relevant comments. Your plan administrator will follow up with you to resolve your concerns. If a change is made in your account, you will be prompted to review the update online.
- Once your portfolio information is displayed correctly and you click “I agree,” you will have full access to the content and functionality within Shareworks. Every time you login thereafter, your Account Summary will display a chart of each of the incentives that you hold.
- Beside any exercisable options you will see the word “Exercise,” which is a link. Clicking on this link will begin the online exercise process. If an exercise link does not appear on this screen, your holdings are not available to exercise. This could happen for multiple reasons. Your options may not be vested yet, you may currently be in a blackout phase, you may not have verified your account holdings, or you may have not accepted the online agreements.
In the case of share purchase plans:
- If your plan permits in service withdrawals, beside the plan details you will see the word “Withdraw,” which is a link. Clicking on this link will begin the online withdrawal process.
3. I’ve forgotten my account number, what do I do?
If you have forgotten your account number, you can retrieve it online and have the information emailed to your work email address. Simply click on the “Forgot Your Account Number” link on the login page and complete the required steps.
4. I’ve forgotten my account password, what do I do?
If you have security questions setup on your Solium account, you can reset your password online by having the information sent to your work email address. Simply click on the “Forgot Your Password” link on the login page and complete the required steps.
5. Why do I need two passwords?
Solium provides each participant with both a login and transaction password. These are set as two separate passwords for security purposes, and may be maintained as two separate passwords or changed to the same password. Please note that changing one password will not automatically change the other password.
6. Are there requirements for my passwords?
Your passwords must be 8–55 characters in length and must be made up of alphanumeric or special characters, or a combination of both. Your passwords cannot contain your name or account number. We recommend that you choose a password that will be easy for you to remember but difficult for others to guess. Solium will provide you temporary login and transaction passwords that you will be asked to reset after your first use.
7. How do I unlock my account?
For security purposes, your account typically becomes locked after six unsuccessful login attempts (unless your company has chosen to increase or decrease this number). Please contact our Participant Services Group at 1.877.380.7793 to unlock your account.
8. How can I modify my mailing address
You can update your mailing address using the Personal Profile and Passwords tab in your Shareworks account. If you need to change your home address, you must notify your stock plan administrator, who will then notify Solium. You will see the update in your account within a few weeks.
9. What is a personal identification security question and why do I need it?
Security questions are used by Solium to confirm the identity of an account holder. These questions and the related answers are selected by the account holder during the activation process. Should you need to contact our Participant Services Group for support, we will use these questions to validate your identity before disclosing any confidential information. Shareworks also allows you to select two identification questions for added security.
Here’s an example of a personal identification security question and answer:
Security question: “My first car”
Security answer: “1965 Chevy”
1. How can I exercise my stock options?
To exercise your employee stock options, please follow the steps below:
- Log in to Shareworks at www.solium.com/login
- Click on the Stock Option and Awards tab (top menu). To begin an exercise, you must be on the “Transaction View” tab. Click the “Exercise” link to the right of the grant that you wish to exercise on the “Account Summary” page.
- Select the type of exercise you would like to complete and indicate the quantity you wish to exercise. You may have the choice to enter an exercise for multiple grants in one transaction (plans permitting). To exercise from multiple grant (where applicable), click on the “Multiple Grants” link in the Exercise Parameters sections and specify the amount to be exercised from each grant.
- Specify the type of order you would like to place (if applicable). For exercise methods where you do not receive shares, you will be asked to confirm if you would like to place a market or (if plan rules allow) a limit order. A market order will fill at the current market price within the present market day. A limit order enables you to set a sale price and choose how long to leave that price in effect, up to 30 calendar days. For sell-to-cover exercises, you may elect to increase the number of shares sold so that your exercise results in the receipt of additional cash proceeds and fewer shares (plan rules permitting). The minimum number of shares to be sold is populated when processing this type of exercise to ensure sufficient proceeds are generated to cover the cost of the exercise, as well as taxes and fees where applicable.
- Choose the delivery instructions for your proceeds and/or shares.
- Review the Exercise Direction Form (if applicable). This letter summarizes your exercise request and is used to communicate your choices to your company and Solium’s brokerage partner. You may print your Exercise Direction Form for future reference or you may access the Exercise Direction Forms from past exercises by viewing the View Transaction History page.
- Verify all information regarding your exercise request. Your exercise is summarized including details or delivery and proceeds.
- You will be asked to enter a transaction password if your exercise includes a market transaction (market order or limit order).
- Click “Submit Exercise” to complete the exercise. Once you click “Submit Exercise” you cannot cancel the exercise..
You will be presented a confirmation of your exercise and will be given a reference number for your records. Your exercise will display in the View Transaction History section of Shareworks for you to monitor its status.
2. How can I withdraw my shares?
To withdraw shares from your employee purchase plan please follow these steps:
- Log in to Shareworks.
- Click on the Share Purchase & Holdings tab (top menu).
- To begin a withdrawal, you must be on the “Transaction View” tab. Click the “Withdraw” link to the right of the plan you wish to withdraw from on the “Account Summary” page.
- Select the type of transaction. In the “Transaction Type” box, select “Real Time Withdrawal” to sell shares or “Shares Withdrawal” to transfer shares to a brokerage account.
- Select how many shares you wish to withdraw. Depending on your particular plan, you will need to specify how many employee units and/or employer units you wish to withdraw.
- Specify market or limit order. Shares can be sold immediately at current market rates or a limit price can be set for up to 30 days.
- Choose the delivery method for your proceeds or shares. Available choices will depend on your plan parameters.
- Verify withdrawal details.
- Enter your transaction password and check the box to accept the General Conditions for Use of System.
- Click “Confirm Withdrawal” to complete the withdrawal. Once you click “Confirm Withdrawal” you cannot cancel the withdrawal.
- You will be presented a confirmation of your share withdrawal and will be given a reference number for your records. Your withdrawal will be display in the Transaction History section of your account.
3. How long does it take before I receive my proceeds?
In the case of stock option plans:
- Three or four business days after the trade is executed, the remaining balance, net of commission, funds owed to the award issuing company and any fees or withholding, are sent to the plan participant as per the instructions provided during the online transaction process. If you choose to have the proceeds transferred directly to your bank account the funds will be transferred into the account listed in your Solium account three or four days after the trade is executed.
In the case of share purchase plans:
- Three or four business days after the trade is executed, the remaining balance, net of commission and any fees or withholdings, are sent to the plan participant as per the instructions provided during the online transaction process. If you choose to have the proceeds transferred directly to your bank account, the funds will be transferred into the account listed in your Solium account three or four days after the trade is executed. If you choose to have the funds mailed, this will take place three or four days after the trade is completed. Please take into consideration the processing time of your bank and the postal service.
4. What is the W-9 form for?
A person who is required to file an information return with the IRS must get the correct taxpayer identification number (TIN) to report. For example, income paid, real estate transactions, mortgage interest paid, acquisition or abandonment of secured property, cancellation of debt, contributions made to an IRA, etc.
The W-9 is necessary only if you are a U.S. person (including a resident alien). It is used to give the correct TIN to the person requesting it (the requester) and, when applicable, it is also used to:
- Certify the TIN you are giving is correct (or you are waiting for a number to be issued),
- Certify you are not subject to backup withholding, or
- Claim exemption from backup withholding if you are a U.S.-exempt payee.
Filling out a W-9 is straightforward. Just provide your name, address and Social Security Number, or the name, address and Employer Identification Number of your business. By submitting a W-9, you are certifying that the tax ID number you are providing is correct and that you are not subject to backup withholding.
5. What is the difference between a market order and a limit order?
A market order is an order placed to buy or sell a security immediately at the best possible price. A limit order is an order to buy or sell a security at a specified price. This type of order can be executed only at the specified price or better. Shareworks permits a limit order to be in effect for up to 30 calendar days, though it may not to end on a weekend or holiday. You can choose the type of order you wish to have filled for both option exercises and share withdrawals, dependant on your specific plan parameters. Please note that if you choose to enter a market-price order outside regular trading hours, the opening price of the stock may not reflect its closing price.